Wednesday, August 01, 2007

David Chatt



"108 Meditations in Saffron" by David Chatt, 2006. Glass beads over found objects.
David Chatt has spent the second half of his life stitching tiny bits of glass
one to the next, laboring to express himself in a medium that is tedious and time consuming beyond reason. For his efforts, he has been called a “Visionary,” “Lunatic,” and a “Beadwork Subversive.”


Istanbul is holding the International Bead & Beadwork Conference from 22-25 Novemeber. "A feature of this conference will be a group of tours to well-known regions of Turkey that will focus on beadwork and handicrafts. The tours will provide an insight into the village life and virtually extinct nomadic lifestyles that created the cultures responsible for the beadwork found in Anatolia." Oh. I know I've only just come back but I'd love to be there to explore the handicrafts of some of the Anatolian villages and check out more of David Chatt's incredible work.

Ohh,I found this lovely gallery through the mrs eliot books blog. Take a look at all the artwork.... and spend hours just checking out their links page, as I just did. Now I need to get back to work.

No comments: