Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Teaching Textiles

My Aunt the Quilter has recently been asked to teach years 8 and 9 Textiles and Sewing at the local High School. She's a bit nervous and asked me what I thought she should get them to make. They have 20 weeks to make a series of projects starting with something simple like a pin cushion. What I was wanting to ask you all out there is what you think would be a good project? It has to be something that both girls and boys of about 13 to 15 years of age would like to make. If you can help please leave your answers in the comments section below this post.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I taught textiles in my first year out in 2005. I still have a massive folder with the work I did if you want it. I'm in Melbourne, which I see you are also so if you want to get the folder I'm happy to get rid of it as I doubt I will ever use it again. The projects we did were a cushion and boxershorts, but I thought they were pretty blagh. I think a nice totebag or something like that would be a good one as it is easy to make.

Anyway I'm shifting this weekend and I'm in McKinnon next week, so I'm not sure where you are, but I'm happy to get rid of the folder to be honest.

you can email me at anna (at) annalaura (dot) come (dot) au

tamdoll said...

What will they be proud of & use? Messenger bags & hats. With 20 weeks, they could probably make projects like this... better than skirts and boxer shorts that I learned with.

Anonymous said...

how about sock puppets? there's a beautiful book out by miyako kanamori called 'sock and glove'. my sister is 14 and made a reindeer recently based on the dog pattern. she thought these would be great to make at school instead of boxer shorts. they could also design their own patterns, make monsters etc. and bring their own socks...

Anonymous said...

I made soft kites. Ripstop nylon can be tricky to sew (you need sharp needles) but we had great fun flying them afterwards. Juggling bags (triangle pyramids). Plent of scope for decoration and could be modified into funky creatures with added hair, limbs etc. Bags are great but the important thing is the fabric and the decoration needs to be cool.